Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Christmas Gifts - No-Sew Pillow Cover



Homemade Christmas Gifts

  Since we called the blog Creations By ASH, Andrew reminded me that the 'S' part of the team should write some posts too!  I know it's January, but I couldn't very well post the homemade Christmas presents until after everyone had got them, so I'm posting them all now!

  I made a bunch of different presents, so be sure to check out the posts for my other projects!


No-Sew Pillow Cover



  Since Andrew was building Johanna a bed and pallet headboard to put in her room for Christmas, I wanted to make a gift to go along with it!  Johanna is a sweetie, always baby sitting for us if we want to go out, or taking family pictures for us. I had saved this pillow idea to use in my living room in the near future, but the last time I was in Johanna’s room I started thinking that it needed some orange accents, and that a throw pillow would do nicely.

  So, Perrin and I went off to Joann’s to find the right orange fabric! We ended up finding some nice choices in the fall fabrics for 60% off. I picked out my two favorites, then held them in front of Perrin and let him choose! Call me brave, but it worked for me.

  The blog said the fabric needed to be three times as wide as the pillow and twice as tall as the pillow. I decided to do a 16 inch by 16 inch pillow, so I had the fabric cut to 48 inches long. Honestly I wished I had gotten two more inches - it would have made it easier to tie.



  I picked out a soft pillow form at Joann’s to use but I now think this would have worked best with a stiffer throw pillow (which is probably why I had such a hard time tying it.)



  I just estimated cutting the “twice as tall” part, laid it out and folded it up, then folded the ends like you would wrap a gift and tied it.




  I used to safety pin to secure the knot it place.



  And there it was - a beautiful orange throw pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment